Unit G is available for rent beginning in January until June 2018 (might have some flexibility). We’re seeking renters who will be great neighbors and active members of this community. This is a good way to try out Cohousing without committing to buying a unit. For renters who are interested in being owners, living here gets you well-situated to learn about a unit when it comes up for sale. We are renting the place furnished (see photos).
About the unit:
- Beautiful condo, 2 bed 1.5 bath with office loft, 5 closets, a linen closet and a pantry.
- Fully appointed kitchen with gas stove, microwave, dishwasher, and more
- 1073 sq-ft unit with high ceilings in the great room and radiant heat throughout.
- Sky lights, ample windows, and lofted ceilings make it airy and light.
- Hardwood floors throughout except for the main bathroom, which is tiled.
- Gated small community with friendly neighbors and many neighborhood amenities
- Community amenities include common house with large kitchen and dining area (see photos), kids play room, workout room, laundry, workshop, community garden, guest room, large patio for dining/entertaining, elevator, and garage with one parking space per unit.
Rent is $3500/mo and includes garbage/recycling/compost, water, gas. heat, high-speed DSL, a secured parking space in the garage (includes some extra storage space), use of the guest room, and all amenities on site. Electricity is the only utility not included and averages $40/mo, depending on usage.
About the community:
Swan’s Market Cohousing is an urban co-housing community with 20 units and 34 residents (30 adults, four families have children and the community welcomes more). We are located in the preserved and retrofitted 1917 Swan’s Market building in the historic Old Oakland neighborhood. All the traditional components of cohousing are active here, including common meals 3x/week, monthly work parties, and neighbors helping neighbors. Participation and engagement in the community is high. People share food, tools, time, friendship, resources, and skills.
Located in the heart of Old Oakland’s “Gourmet Ghetto”, Swan’s Market Cohousing is 2 blocks from BART, 15 minutes from downtown San Francisco or downtown Berkeley by BART, has a Walkability Score of 95/100, just about every service you can imagine within a few blocks, and the Farmers Market out front on Fridays (see photos). Though urban, the outdoor space, or “Swan’s Way” central corridor, is generously planted with fruit trees, vegetables, and artful patio gardens. The outdoor table is a community gathering spot.
Who you are:
We are looking for an individual or a family who will be great community members. Trustworthy, a good neighbor, friendly, and able to participate in cohousing activities including weekly common meals (optional to eat, expected to cook once every 5-6 weeks), monthly work parties, and at least one committee. In exchange, you’ll discover a European-like mini-village that will feel like a peaceful retreat to come home to every day… right in the middle of downtown Oakland!
This has been our home for many years. We love it and are looking for someone who will love it as much as we do while we are away on an extended sabbatical.
Thank you for your interest in our home! Bonnie Fergusson and Stephen Safru